We have a cast for The Mystery of Edwin Drood and tonight is our first readthrough! I am particularly excited about this because:
1. The cast is awesome. Some of my favourite humanoids are in the cast. This fills me with happiness and joy.
2. I haven’t read the script yet. I generally (unless there is a need*) do not read scripts for any of my shows until first read. That way, I can hear it in the voice of the actor we have cast. Its a little ritual I have started since my early beginnings in community theatre. I had the Anything Goes script for almost a year before I cracked it open. This show is bananasauce with the Choose Your Own Adventure aspect of it and I am really keen to see how it all puzzles out.
4. I have no REAL responsibility on this show! Well, that’s not true, I am responsible for making some pretty fantastic drawerings. But that’s it. I don’t have to worry about budgets, or schedules, or people, or regular ol’ show drama bullshit! REJOICE! VICTORY! VIVA LA FRANCE! EXCELSIOR! ….. until November. I am sure as shit going to enjoy this respite from Producerly shenanigans. Yessiree!
5. I am going to enjoy this project. Not only do I get to combine creative forces with JZ again, but I have been doing a lot of research into Victorian illustration, some Arts & Crafts movement, a bit of William Morris, and some Art Nouveau (cuz, why not!?) and gads, I love it so much. So pretty. It really renewed my interest in Art and Design History. I am a bit of a nerd about these things and really need to take more classes. I am so excited (dare I say giddy?) to just be drawing again. It is going to be rad.
6. Flippy flaps. ‘Nuff said.
*I should probably read that Tommy script before tomorrow night’s creative meeting. :S No one tell JZ.